Friday, February 6, 2015

Change or not to Change????

I unpacked a box the other day with a few books that I had left after a big move.  The one book that stood out was Boethius "The Consolation of Philosophy.  I hadn't opened up this book in about 10 years, but suddenly felt the urge to plunge in.  The second chapter really spoke to me as it was around the concept of change.  He is talking to a female spirit who has come to him before his execution and she is sharing her wisdom about a number of different topics, but the one on change was very intriguing.

We all know that change is constant, so why do we try so hard to keep life the same?  We stay at jobs we hate, relationships that need to end, and continue with bad habits when we know it is hurting us.  We want to change, but for many people taking the first steps is the most difficult.  Life is giving us clues and hints about the direction that would be better for us, but we stay and never allow the changes to occur until a crisis happens.  We're shocked and upset and then start to blame life and everyone else for our circumstances, but still we fight it all the way.  In "The Consolation of Philosophy" Boethius is struggling with his changes in fortune, his female spirit friend is telling him that change is always happening.  It is absurd to believe any different.

Change is constant for sure, but one way to work with change is to make small changes everyday.  For instance, if you walk to work a certain way then change your route, if you eat the same food all the time then go to a different restaurant, if you talk to the same people everyday then join a group where people are totally different.  You get the idea.

Life is meant to be an adventure, but change doesn't have to be big and epic.  It really is the small steps that we take that makes life interesting, sacred, and fun.  When we look deeply within ourselves we know change is inevitable, so why don't we talk our power back and change before change has power over us.  I mean you can't control every outcome, but you can be flexible enough that when change occurs you're okay with something different and can allow the flow to happen.  You'll feel so much happier and lighter when you make change a part of your day.








2 comments:

  1. "Change is a process and not an event", rings very true to me. Personally, I like change a lot and would wish it to move/happen faster than it normally seems to do. Often times, I can be impatient for change. As for being able to help change along... I tend to say that that doesn't seem to work very much. I strongly feel that I'm part of a play, playing my unique, self-chosen role and that this play is somewhat fixed in its playing out over linear time (3rd-dimensional reality). You see, no matter how hard I push, there's a 'right moment' for everything that my ego simply can't comprehend. That having said, it is my understanding that some things, if not all, are meant to happen, thus being predestined. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernd, I agree with you. I've also tried to push the flow, but in my case I became very sick, so my learning was hard learned. Crazy!! I do have that Aries drive to push, so now I play in my Scorpio nature of letting things flow and intuitively knowing when to go with it. LOL!!! I do believe you would enjoy this book. There are a few ideas I don't agree with, but he does touch on some of the things that you're writing about. I love reading these books as it shows us where a lot of our believes started. And yes, our egos definitely love to direct us and cause chaos!!! Thanks for your insightful reply!!!

      Delete