Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Process Based Life

When I was 39 years old I decided to go to University and get a degree in Visual Arts.  I really didn't know what to expect, but I was truly excited to find out about a number of artists that were grouped into an area called "Process Based Artists".  These artists would take material and allow the substance to create the work without a formal outline for each person to follow.  I'm explaining this process in a very simplistic sense, but this way of creating spoke so strongly to me.

The one aspect of this artistic expression that really transformed my life is that each artist didn't hold one way of finishing a project, but allowed the material to guide them.  Each action then becomes a present moment reaction which is different from the moment before.  The artwork then takes on a life of its own without the artist forcing her own agenda onto the creation.  I started creating sculpture with this idea in mind and found myself allowing something so unique to be born.  It was truly a transformational experience.

I then took the process one step further and started handing over my ideas in life to the present moment.  I had a feeling of what I wanted to experience, but didn't create a logical plan or picture of what the end result would look like.  My life became a constant choice in each moment, releasing any rational thought, my actions were about movement to bring my desire into manifestation.  This is how I do all my readings on Youtube, and how individual sessions come into play.  I'm always amazed by the outcome and how different it is to what I thought it would be.  I feel excited about the mystery of life.  This is not to say that I completely throw out reason or logic, but it definitely takes a back seat in my life.

One thing that I've noticed is that I've let go of judging how my life is suppose to be.  I'm constantly in the process of creating, letting go, and opening up to the endless possibilities of life.  It can be challenging when my mind wants to control the outcome, and yes, it still happens, but when I do let go life can just be without any need to mould it into any social ideals.

My whole world changed when I was introduced to process based art.  I now remember every day that each small action moves me into the mystery and magic of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment